Toxic Free Living with guest Andrea Henriksen
As I get older, I try to get wiser about what my family and I are putting into our bodies. My good friend, Andrea Henriksen, knows a little about everything and she’s here to talk to us about the chemicals and toxins in our personal care products so we can elevate our health by pursuing toxic-free living.
Why should we live toxic free?
- This answer is very personal for everyone!
- We encounter chemicals/toxins in our environment, food, and products
- Body burden = chemicals built up in our body and interfere with normal processes, leading to sickness and disease (especially our hormones and reproductive system)
How to ease into toxic free living:
- Start small!
- When you run out of something, replace it with a better choice.
- Cleaning Supplies: use vinegar, essential oils, Google or Pinterest recipes you can make at home!
- Food: remove synthetic dyes (like Red 40) and artificial flavors. Try to eat foods that are closest to their natural state (not processed). For more information about food dyes and how to read labels, check out this Encourager podcast episode with Dr. Melanie Mullenmeister.
- Makeup/Cosmetics/Personal Care Products: start with your deodorant! Skin absorbs products within 26 seconds and goes straight into our bloodstream!
How to read labels:
- Check out the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) website here.
- Check out EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetics Database website and app where you can search or scan barcodes on your products and see their safety rating on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worst). Andrea recommends choosing items with a 4 rating or lower.
- Check out the Think Dirty app where you can search or scan barcodes on your products and see their safety rating on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worst). Andrea recommends choosing items with a 4 rating or lower.
- Here is a “blacklist” of ingredients to avoid in your products.
- “Fragrance” is a word that companies use to hide LOADS of toxic ingredients in our products. Look for “naturally fragranced” products instead or use essential oils!
- Many companies are “green washing” their products to look natural and use words like “organic” but they’re not! You HAVE to read the labels and use the apps to determine their safety rating!
Makeup, Skin Care and Beauty Products.
- Most eye and lip makeup contain toxic ingredients like lead or Red Dye 40!
- Toxic mascaras contain coal
- Crunchi, Beauty Counter, and others are making safer, high-performing products so seek them out and do your research.
- Safer products are priced higher than drug store brands but think of it as an investment in your health. YOU ARE WORTH IT!
- Don’t get overwhelmed and quit! This is important!
- Start small. Replace things slowly or as your run out, swap it out with a safer option.
- Be patient with yourself and your spouse/family… education takes time.
- Your body may take time to readjust so don’t give up!
Join Andrea’s Facebook community “Bold. Beautiful. Alive.” here!
We got this Encouragers!
Encourager Mastermind Group
Learn more about this exciting opportunity here!
Coaching with Bekah
Learn more about coaching opportunities!
Check out Bekah's Book recommendations.
Rating, Reviewing & Subscribing
Questions Answered Here.
Sign up on The Encourager email list here!